THE APPLICATION OF PSYCHOLOGICAL DEFENSES BY THE FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS IN THE PROCESS OF EXPERIENCING THE CRISES
The successful adaptation of first-year students to the educational process is one of the priority tasks in the system of modern education. The study identified that various intensity of experiencing crisis is typical for the first-year students. In the process of experiencing the crises, the crisis identity can form, which reflects the misbalance of stability and tolerance of a personality and has manifestations in various aspects: behavioral, emotional, interpersonal, family, etc. To overcome heavy stress conditions including crisis, various resources are used, one of which is the psychological defenses. The analysis of the correlation of psychological defenses and crises experienced by the first-year students is important today.
222 first-year students (56 male and 166 female) from Novosibirsk participated in the study. The average age of the study participants was 18.3±1.1 years. The results of the study allow concluding that the high intensity of such psychological defenses as projection, compensation, intellectualization, regression, reaction formation and general tension of psychological defenses are typical for the first-year students. The substitution dominates among medium intensity defenses.
Psychological defenses, such as projection, regression, and substitution positively correlate practically with all types of crises typical for students, and almost with all indicators of a crisis identity. All these types of psychological defense can be attributed to inefficient defenses with a low and medium degree of constructiveness. The results of the study can be used by psychologists for the appropriate psychological support of the students.
2. Kurus I.A. Content of emotional experience of the first-year students in crisis situations. Vektor nauki Tolyattinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Pedagogika, psikhologiya, 2016, no. 1, pp. 87–92.
3. Mohr C., Braun S., Chmetz F., Kluckner V.J., Lott P., Schrag Y., Stassen H. Cross-cultural assessment of coping behavior under chronic stress. A three-center study of 407+404+406 students. Personality and Individual Differences, 2014, vol. 60, pp. 29–29.
4. Faleva E.E. The main psychological problems and crisises in the development of student personality. Pedagogika, psikhologiya i mediko-biologicheskie problemy fizicheskogo vospitaniya i sporta, 2008, no. 7, pp. 138–141.
5. Dmitrieva N.V., Perevozkin S.B., Perevozkina Yu.M., Samoylik N.A. Diagnostika krizisa identichnosti [Identity crisis diagnostics]. Novokuznetsk, KuzGPA Publ., 2012. 134 p.
6. Isaeva D.A. Personal and professional identity features in adolescence and early adulthood. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Seriya 12. Psikhologiya. Sotsiologiya. Pedagogika, 2013, no. 2, pp. 78–85.
7. Arias A.-M., Karpova E.A., Kukulite T.G. Dynamics of professional identity in higher school students (psychological analysis). Znanie. Ponimanie. Umenie, 2016, no. 3, pp. 241–253.
8. Samsonova E.A. Professional identity of students of the first courses. APRIORI. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki, 2016, no. 3, pp. 43–51.
9. Soldatova E.L., Shlyapnikova I.A. Correlation between ego-identity and maturity of personality. Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Psikhologiya, 2015, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–33.
10. Melnikov N.M. Human behavior: psychological aspects in crisis. Vestnik Universiteta Rossiyskoy akademii obrazovaniya, 2011, no. 1, pp. 102–105.
11. Sadovnikova N.O. Experience is activity to delivery professional crisis of the person. Fundamentalnye issledovaniya, 2015, no. 2-6, pp. 1328–1332.
12. Bezuglova A.A., Vasileva O.S., Pravdina L.R. Socio-Psychological Adaptation in Individuals with Different Coping Strategies. Rossiyskiy psikhologicheskiy zhurnal, 2017, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 180–204.
13. Parfenova G.L., Koroleva A.F. Psychological defense mechanisms of personality in the context of professional self-determination of students-psychologists. Vestnik Altayskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta, 2016, no. 4, pp. 88–92.
14. Iskusnykh A.Yu. The study of tension of psychological defenses of the university students. Tsentralnyy nauchnyy vestnik, 2017, vol. 2, no. 14, pp. 8–9.
15. Shakura K.V., Ivashchenko K.A., Taldykina E.A. Interconnection of mechanisms psychological defenses with coping strategies of students of psychological faculty. Alleya nauki, 2017, vol. 1, no. 10, pp. 185–190.
16. Soloveva S.L. Krizisnaya psikhologiya [Crisis psychology]. Moscow, AST Publ., 2007. 286 p.
17. Manukyan V.R. Subektivnaya kartina zhiznennogo puti i krizisy vzroslogo perioda. Diss. kand. psikhol. Nauk [Subjective picture of the life and crises of adulthood]. Sankt Petersburg, 2003. 217 p.
18. Vasserman L.I., Eryshev O.F., Klubova E.B. Psikhologicheskaya diagnostika indeksa zhiznennogo stilya [Psychological Diagnosis of the Life Style Index]. Sankt Petersburg, SPbNIPNI im. V.A. Bekhtereva Publ., 2005. 50 p.
19. Isaeva E.R. Koping-povedenie i psikhologicheskaya zashchita lichnosti v usloviyakh zdorovya i bolezni [Coping behavior and psychological defence of the individual in conditions of health and illness]. Sankt Petersburg, SPbGMU Publ., 2009. 135 p.
20. Romek V.G., Kontorovich V.A., Krukorovich E.I. Psikhologicheskaya pomoshch v krizisnykh situatsiyakh [Psychological Assistance in Crisis Situations]. Sankt Petersburg, Rech’ Publ., 2007. 256 p.
21. Medvedeva N.I., Tsechoeva R.Kh. The impact of the identity crisis on mental health of university students. Mir nauki, kultury, obrazovaniya, 2019, no. 1, pp. 321–322.
22. Petrosyants V.R. Peculiarities of Manifestations of the Psychological Defence Mechanisms Used by the Students of Psychology Department at University Depending on Vitality. Izvestiya Saratovskogo universiteta. Novaya seriya. Seriya Akmeologiya obrazovaniya. Psikhologiya razvitiya, 2016, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 250–254.
23. Aleksandrov I.Yu., Markelov V.V. Features of psychological protection and coping-strategies in the structure of personality of students of the faculty of physical culture. Vestnik Permskogo gosudarstvennogo gumanitarno-pedagogicheskogo universiteta. Seriya № 1. Psikhologicheskie i pedagogicheskie nauki, 2016, no. 2-1, pp. 10–16.
24. Panasenko E.A., Morozova I.S. The parameters of psychological defense of first-year students in correlation to their personal characteristics. Vestnik Kemerovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2016, no. 4, pp. 176–180.
25. Dolgova V.I., Kondrateva O.A. Psikhologicheskaya zashchita [Psychological defense]. Moscow, Pero Publ., 2014. 160 p.