SPIRITUAL AND MORAL VALUES AS THE RESOURCES AND EGOCENTRIC VALUES AS THE IMPEDIMENTS FOR PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE EMERGING ADULTHOOD PERIOD
Modern Russian society suffers the consequences of great moral degradation caused by social and economic transformations in our country in the early 90s of the XX century. Although the situation has slightly improved over the past decade, it remains unfavorable, which negatively affects the functioning and development of the modern Russian society. To solve this issue, it is necessary to search for the resources for the personal development of young people at the age of the emerging adulthood that can manifest their moral stand through their behavior, carry out the conscious choice of the good, as well as identify factors impeding this. The spiritual and moral values having a positive relationship with the personal development indicators can become the resources for the personal development of young people at the age of emerging adulthood. The egocentric values that have a negative relation with the personal development indicators can be considered as the factors impeding the process.
The authors carried out the empirical research of the hierarchy of values and personal development indicators of young people at the age of emerging adulthood and studied the relations between them. The authors carried out the research using psychodiagnostic methods: the method of Free Choice of Values by E.B. Fantalova, The Good and the Evil test by L.M. Popov. The findings were processed using mathematical statistics methods.
The results of the study show that for young people, the values of the emerging adulthood period are of primary importance. The study identified both the egocentric values, unfavorable for personal development and spiritual and moral ones, favorable for it. For the majority of young people, the significance of egocentric values of high material well-being, recognition, respect from people, and the influence on those around you is higher than that of spiritual and moral values.
2. Davydov V.V., Brushlinskiy A.V., Bratus B.S., Zinchenko V.P. Psikhologiya i etika: opyt postroeniya diskussii [Psychology and Ethics: Experience of Discussion Building]. Samara, Bakhrakh Publ., 1999. 127 p.
3. Bodalev A.A. Vershina v razvitii vzroslogo cheloveka: kharakteristiki i usloviya dostizheniya [Summit of adult development: characteristics and conditions promoting its accomplishment]. Moscow, Flinta Publ., 1998. 168 p.
4. Popov L.M., Golubeva O.Yu., Ustin P.N. Dobro i zlo v eticheskoy psikhologii lichnosti [Good and evil in the ethical psychology of personality]. Moscow, Institut psikhologii RAN Publ., 2008. 240 p.
5. Agafonova S., Bryukhova N., Kaigorodov B. Professional and personal undergraduates’ development in the educational process from the perspective of competency-based approach. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015, vol. 214, pp. 479–486.
6. Shadrikov V.D. Ot individa k individualnosti. Vvedenie v psikhologiyu [From an individual to individuality: An introduction to psychology]. Moscow, Institut psikhologii RAN Publ., 2009. 656 p.
7. Frankl V. Chelovek v poiskakh smysla [Human Being Searching for Sense]. Moscow, Progress Publ., 1990. 368 p.
8. Robbins B.D. The Heart of Humanistic Psychology: Human Dignity Disclosed Through a Hermeneutic of Love. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 2015, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 223–237.
9. Leontev D.S., Sulimina O.V. The paths of personal development when passing from childhood to adulthood and their dynamics in historical and cultural dimension. Gorizonty zrelosti: sbornik nauchnykh statey. Moscow, MGPPU Publ., 2015, pp. 14–21.
10. May R. Freedom and destiny. New York, W.W. Norton and Company Publ., 1999. 288 p.
11. Bryukhova N.G., Agafonova S.V. Humaneness and creativity in the moral development of young people. Rossiyskiy psikhologicheskiy zhurnal, 2017, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 39–61.
12. Berdyaev N.A. O naznachenii cheloveka [About Human Destiny]. Moscow, Respublika Publ., 1993. 382 p.
13. Losskiy N.O. Bog i mirovoe zlo [The God and the World Evil]. Moscow, Respublika Publ., 1994. 431 p.
14. Ryan R.M., Deci E.L. Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development and well-being. American psychologist, 2000, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 68–78.
15. Erikson E.N., Erikson J.M. The life cycle completed. New York, W.W. Norton and Company Publ., 1998. 144 p.
16. Dudulin V.V., Luzhetskiy S.V. Theoretical and practical bases for moralaesthetic education of military schools students. Mir obrazovaniya – obrazovanie v mire, 2015, no. 1, pp. 160–164.
17. Privalov N.I. Development of the cadets moral behavior motivation. Mir obrazovaniya – obrazovanie v mire, 2015, no. 3, pp. 267–274.
18. Saprygina S.A. Organizational-pedagogical conditions of formation of the moral responsibility of the future bachelor in the professional and cultural practices. Problemy sovremennogo pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya, 2016, no. 51-5, pp. 386–393.
19. Zykina E.I. Methodology for Developing Moral Resistance of Law Students in English Classes. Vestnik Izhevskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta imeni M.T. Kalashnikova, 2015, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 129–130.
20. Slobodchikov V.I., Isaev E.I. Psikhologiya cheloveka. Vvedenie v psikhologiyu subektivnosti [Human psychology. Introduction to the psychology of subjectivity]. Moscow, PSTGU Publ., 2013. Kn. 1, 360 p.
21. Kulagina I.Yu., Kolyutskiy V.N. Vozrastnaya psikhologiya. Polnyy zhiznennyy tsikl razvitiya cheloveka [Developmental psychology. The full life cycle of human development]. Moscow, Sfera Publ., 2001. 464 p.
22. Agafonova S.V. The correlation between moral development and performance. Internet-zhurnal “Mir nauki”, 2018, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 1–12. URL: mir-nauki.com/PDF/07PSMN518.pdf.
23. Fantalova E.B. Diagnostika i psikhoterapiya vnutrennego konflikta [Diagnosis and psychotherapy of internal conflict]. Samara, BAKhRAKh-M Publ., 2001. 128 p.
24. Rean A.A. Psikhologiya cheloveka ot rozhdeniya do smerti [Human psychology from the cradle to the grave: Psychological encyclopedia]. Sankt Petersburg, PRAYM-EVROZNAK Publ., 2002. 656 p.
25. Zharova E.N. “Individualism – collectivism” in value system of student youth. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii, 2009, no. 2, pp. 132–137.
26. Kostakova I.V., Bergis T.A. The spiritual and moral determinants of harmonious personal self-fulfillment of the university students. Vektor nauki Tolyattinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Pedagogika, psikhologiya, 2019, no. 1, pp. 62–68.
27. Nurkova V.V. Self-defined Narratives in Personality Development. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie, 2014, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 22–30.
28. Khodyakova N.V., Mitin A.I. Addressing Psychological Mechanisms of Personality Development in Educational Environment Design. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie, 2017, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 101–109.